miércoles, 15 de diciembre de 2010

Mean girls throw stones at each other's glass houses...13 years later

I thought that after many years of being out of high school, people had to grow old and grow up, have different priorities in their life and end up laughing about the problems that happened in high school, but it seems like that doesn't really happen. Deep down, we are the same person, the same little girl that was insecure about speaking in public (not me of course!), or the same little boy who was teased for being different and avoiding fights.
I remember the day when I ended up crying and screaming to a so-called friend. I don't remember what she said to me exactly, I just remember a series of events where she wanted to make me and my best friend feel like less than we were, less than her. And I remember what I told her: you say that you're my friend, but you're nothing but a mean girl, friends don't make you feel bad and enjoy it. I bet she forgot about this fast, her life was filled with too much drama, she was the girl whose ex-boyfriend was now with her best friend after dating both of them at the same time, it is extremely important to mention that now, 13 years later after that happened, they are close friends.
Personally, I can't have friends like that; I am no saint, I criticize people; but I live by a golden rule: If I want to say something about a friend, I'll say it to her/his face, she will know that I think that the fact that she couldn't fry an egg is funny, and that she needs to write a recipe so thoroughly that she includes the way she has to hold the knife to peel a potato. If I see a person being part of the typical movie scene, when a mean girl is with her friends and sees the outcast girl and says loudly: "I love your shirt"; just to turn around to her friends and giggle saying: "That's the ugliest shirt I've ever seen, she looks like a lazy transvestite". I hate that, and I know that after you tell me that, you'll turn around and talk about my skinny legs, or that my jeans are not from a name brand.
I got to the conclusion that mean girls are always the same, after my shy friend got engaged to one of those girls' friends. To her face, they called her cute and innocent, and asked her how much in love she was (yes, stupidest question ever), and while to her face they talked to her like she was five years old, to her back they said she was stupid and boring.
The same girls that have a lot of skeletons in their closets, and are in glass houses with thin walls: one of them hasn't had a boyfriend, only friends with benefits and guys with girlfriends, the other one dated 40 year old guys in high school, another one was the town gossip girl and the rest of her "friends" made fun of her weight and her inability to keep any secrets...etc, etc.
It seems like their modus operandi is picking one of them and make fun of her, this one girl has to take this quietly, she'll have a chance to be on the other side tomorrow, when they make fun of someone new. At least they have friends that keep them company through the years, right?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario